"A Cozy Mansion Mystery in the Making by Edgar O. Weyrd"
|Authoring system||Inform 7|
|Cruelty scale||Cruelty to be determined|
How It Begins
You are a conceptual entity, carrying a notepad and no intentions, and standing in the courtyard outside a large mansion. You are here to examine and ready the mansion for the drama to come, and to direct the players to their places after they arrive.
- Unusual PC. The PC, being conceptual itself, cannot manipulate physical objects, only conceptual ones called "intentions".
- Unusual NPCs. The NPCs can exist in multiple locations simultaneously. Unlike standard NPCs which wander and can be conversed with, the NPCs of Delightful Wallpaper exist as potential story slices in those locations that their respective stories take them.
- The game has two distinct parts to it. In the first part, the PC is exploring a mansion that doesn't want to be explored; the mansion is maze-like in this section. In the second part, the players are directed by moving their intentions, each to die and be eulogized with short couplets in the style of Edward Gorey.
- The notepad object automatically updates itself with information that the player needs to know, and frees the player from having to make his or her own notes. Sometimes, the notepad draws inferences that the player might not otherwise be certain of; this is deliberate to minimize the need to test cause and effect.
Trivia and Comments
Competition version, Release 4
- Delightful Wallpaper (Andrew Plotkin as "Edgar O. Weyrd"; 30-Sep-2006; Z-code 8).
- Release 4 / Serial number 060928 / Inform 7 build 3Z95 (I6/v6.31 lib 6/11N)
- IFID: 78C03780-9F93-4780-9044-97158BD940A1
IFID links: IFDB,
Babel metadata, Babel download.(Note: Babel services at IF Archive are not yet available.)
- IF Comp 2006: 6th place of 43 games.
- XYZZY Awards 2006: Winner of Best Writing, Best Puzzles, Best Individual Puzzle (navigating the mansion), and Best Individual PC (PC). Also finalist for Best NPCs.
- Download Wallpaper.zlb ( ftp, random) from the IF Archive - the story file.
- Download walkthrough.txt ( ftp, random) from the IF Archive - game walkthrough by the author.
- Delightful Wallpaper - at IFReviews.org.
- Review by Stephen Bond.
- Review by Richard Bos.
- Review by Matthew Carey.
- Review by Celestianpower.
- Review by J. D. Clemens.
- Review by Riff Conner (Rifflesby).
- Review by Jason Devlin and Mike Snyder.
- Review by David Fletcher.
- Review by N. B. Horvath.
- Review by Joshua Houk.
- Review by Christopher Huang (Miseri).
- Review by Robin Douglas Johnson.
- Review by Admiral Jota.
- Review by Valentine Kopteltsev.
- Review by Jimmy Maher.
- Review by Michael Martin.
- Review by Rob Menke.
- Review by James Mitchelhill.
- Review by Justin Morgan.
- Review by Andre Phillips.
- Review by quickfur.
- Review by Reiko.
- Review by Dan Shiovitz.
- Review: 1 and 2 by Emily Short.
- Review by Mike Snyder.
- Review by Mark J. Tilford (ralphmerridew).
- Review by Marc Valhara.
- Review by Jerome C West.
- Review by David Whyld.