News in 2008
News items originally reported on the current events page in the "News and Reviews" section.
Browse the news items by year:
Or by month on this page:
- Inside Erin: The AIF Newsletter Volume 4 Number 1 in pdf and text formats.
- Purple Blurb is having a Day of Interactive Fiction on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 in MIT's Trope Tank. Group playing is from 1pm to 6pm, and there will be a Q&A with authors Liza Daly, Andrew Plotkin and Dan Schmidt from 6pm to 7pm.
- Inside Erin: The AIF Newsletter Volume 4 Number 2 in pdf and text formats. Purple Dragon is the new editor of the newsletter.
- A.V. Club Review - Chris Dahlen reviews Lost Pig (Admiral Jota; 2007; Z-code).
- IF Cover Art Drive begins! Submit cover art for existing IF games to Emily Short until April 30th. Read the details and see the cover art samples already submitted.
- Inside Erin: The AIF Newsletter Volume 4 Number 3 in pdf and text formats.
- The first PDF issue of SPAC 2.0, the Spanish IF newsletter, has been published.
- In the current issue of PC Plus, the UK magazine, there's the first part of an IF tutorial by Emily Short. (See also this blog entry and this ADRIFT forum thread.)
- InsideADRIFT Issue 37 (View PDF) is published.
- WikiIF is a new wiki created by David Fillmore for authoring collaborative IF source code.
- Guncho is a mud! And it's IF! It's an April Fools Day joke turned real. I dunno what it is exactly, but it's Jesse McGrew's new playground for us to play in.
- Inside Erin: The AIF Newsletter Volume 4 Number 4 in pdf and text formats.
- SPAG #51 - Includes A History of Italian IF by torredifuoco; interviews with Sam Gordon, Christopher Huang, Admiral Jota, Peter Nepstad, Enrico Colombini, Giancarlo Niccolai, Alessandro Schillaci, and Roberto Grassi; and reviews of L'Apprendista Stregone, 1893: A World's Fair Mystery, Rendition, Sunburst Contamination, and all the H.P. Lovecraft Commonplace Book Project games.
- Adventure Gaming Expo (formerly AdventureCon 2008) has been announced. It's a convention planned by Howard A. Sherman, to take place August 29 to 31, 2008 in Atlantic City, NJ.
- An equivalent to the IF Cover Art Drive for games in Spanish is organized by Eliuk Blau. See this deviantART page and this thread on the Spanish forum for more info.
- Milliways: Infocom's Unreleased Sequel to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - A blog posting that everyone is commenting on.
- IF Authors' Workshop, whose goal is to help one another with every aspect of authorship (writing, story development, character development, puzzles...) except coding problems, is announced by Jim Aikin. (See r*if thread.)
- Planet IF is a new place (similar to the Spanish Planeta Aventurero) where blog posts about interactive fiction from various people are collected.
- Travis Hall announces a new IF/RPG hybrid Retro Text Game or RTG. You can read about his progress at his blog.
- The latest issue of the PC Format magazine features a 4 page article on IF. See this R*IF thread.
- The Textfyre interactive fiction company has released the source to FyreVM, their implementation of Glulx written in C#. See this RAIF thread.
- Inside Erin: The AIF Newsletter Volume 4 Number 5 in pdf and text formats.
- The second PDF issue of SPAC 2.0, the Spanish IF newsletter, has been published.
- Inside Erin: The AIF Newsletter Volume 4 Number 6 in pdf and text formats.
- English 401: Viking Studies - Whoa. There's SEVENTEEN Inform 7 games about Vikings here, thanks to an English class at Gettysburg College, PA in 2007. Or perhaps they're more like travelogues than games; we'll just have to play them and see. (Thanks to Emily for discovering the site.)
- Zork I Speedrun - 7min46sec - Yes, it's someone playing Zork I really quickly. Watch it on YouTube.
- InsideADRIFT Issue 38 (View PDF) is published.
- Inside Erin: The AIF Newsletter Volume 4 Number 7 (July 2008) in pdf and text formats.
- Terra d'IF, the Italian IF newsletter, returns! (View PDF.) It's no longer only about IF but about all possible forms of interactive narrative.
- SPAG #52 - Includes A Blind Man's Take on Interactive Fiction by Ari Damoulakis; Works of Wisdom: A Comparison of Nate Cull's "Planner" and Aaron Reed's "Intelligent Hinting" by Ron Newcomb; an interview with Mike Rubin; reviews of An Act of Murder, Child's Play, Deadline Enchanter, A Fine Day for Reaping, Ghost Town, Gun Mute, Hors Catégorie, Lost Pig, Suveh Nux, Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom, and Varkana; and SPAG Specifics of Metamorphoses.
- Inside Erin: The AIF Newsletter Volume 4 Number 8 (August 2008) in pdf and text formats.
- The third PDF issue of SPAC 2.0, the Spanish IF newsletter, has been published.
- Inside Erin: The AIF Newsletter Volume 4 Number 10 (October 2008) in pdf and text formats.
- Terra d'IF issue 2 (View PDF) is published.
- The fourth PDF issue of SPAC 2.0, the Spanish IF newsletter, has been published.
- "Phantom of the Arcade" - Shamus Young asks Susan Arendt of "The Escapist" about her experience using Inform 7 to write Phantom of the Arcade.
- Tim Schafer has made the original design documentation for Grim Fandango available on the Double Fine site.
- Inside Erin: The AIF Newsletter Volume 4 Number 11 (November 2008) in pdf and text formats.
- Issue #53 of SPAG (November 16, 2008) - Includes reviews of Ausflug am Wochenende nach München, Recluse, What Happens in Vagueness, and all the games from IF Comp 2008 and IntroComp 2008. Also includes SPAG Specifics of Photopia and Rendition.