Pass the Banana
|Pass the Banana|
|Authoring system||Inform 6|
How It Begins
- Yes, we have no bananas.
You might be anyone carrying nine bananas. You are in the Adventurer's Lounge, which is decorated with candles, hand-drawn maps, a trophy case, plentiful seating, and there's a closet to the north. You also see a giant flaming head, a monkey and Melvin the Robot here.
(No goal is explicitly stated, but the game is called Pass the Banana. You might try that.)
- Several IF and ifMUD in-jokes. For example:
- The setting, the Adventurer's Lounge, is from ifMUD. It is likewise normally decorated with candles, maps, trophy case, etc.
- The size of the story file is 69,105 bytes.
- Monkey jokes have always been popular on ifMUD, and passing bananas from one player to another was (once upon a time) an occassional activity there. Round brackets, "(" and ")", were sometimes called bananas, and some of the bananas passed would be just have a round bracket character for its name.
- The description of Melvin mentions Floyd, the robot first seen in Planetfall (Infocom).
- The response "Eat the banana? How unseemly!" is a nod to Varicella (Adam Cadre; 1999; Z-code).
- One secret ending's rank is a nod to Varicella (Adam Cadre; 1999; Z-code).
- The NPCs can be talked to via ask-tell, but it's mostly just "ask".
- The maximum score is 10, including one last lousy point.
Release 1 (Competition entry)
- Pass the Banana (Admiral Jota; 1999; Z-code 5).
- Release 1 / Serial number 990921 / Inform v6.15 Library 6/7
- IFID: ZCODE-1-990921-479F
IFID links: IFDB,
Babel metadata, Babel download.(Note: Babel services at IF Archive are not yet available.)
- IF Comp 1999: 33rd place of 37 entries.
- Download banana.z5 from the IF Archive - The story file.
- Or play it online at ifiction.org.
- Pass the Banana - at SPAG.
- Pass the Banana - at IF Ratings.
- Review - by Paul O'Brian.
- Review - by Mike Roberts.
- Review - by Dan Shiovitz.