|Authoring system||ADRIFT 4|
|Cruelty scale||Cruelty to be determined|
How It Begins
You might be anyone walking to the convenience store, carrying your electronic interpreter and a stopwatch, when a man suddenly stops you and asks, "Hey, man. Wujalykan ASCOT?" (That is, would you like an ascot?)
- This "choose your own adventure" limits your choices to YES and NO, so instead of naming the choices explicitly, every section of the story ends with a yes-or-no question. You are also allowed to use the INVENTORY (I) command, and to EXAMINE any of your inventory items at any time. The in-game explanation for the limitation is that the player character relies on an old model electronic interpreter in order to communicate.
- If the player enters a command other than YES or NO, the game threatens to make their interpreter explode. The fourth time a player violates the YES/NO rule, they die.
- Gur tnzr vf n fbeg bs Xbonlnfuv Zneh. Gur orfg raqvat pnaabg or ernpurq jvgubhg oernxvat naq znavchyngvat gur ehyrf (rot13'd to prevent spoilers).
Trivia and Comments
- The response to a non-YES-or-NO response at each junction is potentially unique.
- One area is described as being "As empty as your Geocities guestbook."
- The Ascot (Duncan Bowsman; 01-Oct-2009; ADRIFT 4).
- Last updated: 30 Sep 2009
- IFID: ADRIFT-400-F84E9A324B9C6E230D3F7F738DBBFC7B
IFID links: IFDB,
Babel metadata, Babel download.(Note: Babel services at IF Archive are not yet available.)
- IF Comp 2009: 15th place of 24 entries.
- XYZZY Awards 2009: Finalist for Best Individual Puzzle (defeating the Eagle Beast).
- Download YNKaboom.taf ( ftp, random) from the IF Archive
- Download ynkaboom.zip from Delron
- The Ascot (archived) - at Baf's Guide.
- The Ascot - at IFDB.
- The Ascot - at ifwizz interactive fiction (in German).
See also: reviews at the Delron site.
- Review by Sam Kabo Ashwell.
- Review by J. D. Berry - in SPAG.
- Review by Renee Choba.
- Review: 1, 2, and review of reviews by Conrad.
- Review by Dark Star.
- Review by Ben Dixon.
- Review by Shane Fitzgerald-Gale.
- Review by David Fletcher.
- Review by FrozenIsles Productions.
- Review and IFDB review by Victor Gijsbers.
- Review by Hipolito.
- Review by Christopher Huang.
- Review by Denis Klotz.
- Review (in Russian) and Baf's Guide review (old link) by Valentine Kopteltsev (uux).
- Review by Amanda Lange.
- Review by Yoon Ha Lee.
- Review by Juhana Leinonen.
- Review by Michael Martin.
- Review by Rob Menke.
- Review by George Oliver.
- Review by Wesley Osam.
- Review by Jenni Polodna.
- Review by reviewslinger.
- Review by George Shannon.
- Review by Dan Shiovitz.
- Review by tenjouutena.
- Review by Jake Wildstrom.
- Review by Daniel Wilson.