The Nemean Lion
|The Nemean Lion|
|Authoring system||Inform 6|
How It Begins
You are Heracles, victorious after completing your first labor: to bring the pelt of the Nemean Lion to King Eurystheus. Naturally, Eurystheus would like to know how you managed the feat...
You begin, carrying an arrow and a club, outside a cave in Nemea and facing the lion. A huge rock rests near one of the cave's two entrances.
- An exercise in the concept of intention. That is, how does IF handle the player's intention when processing a command? For example, in a typical IF game, an EAT APPLE command often invokes an implicit TAKE APPLE command if the apple is not currently held; the author is guessing the player's intent to take the apple -- and acting on it. How far can that sort of assumption go? When does implementation of perceived intent go too far? This game helps to illustrate the issues involved.
- Most of Inform's standard verbs have been removed from the game or blocked. The VERBS command lists all the valid verbs for this game.
- Many of the standard default responses have also been excised and replaced with the terse message: "[ERROR: invalid object]".
- The Nemean Lion (Anonymous; 13-Nov-2008; Z-code 5).
Note: Although it's fairly clear who the author is, it's also clear that the author does not want his or her name listed as the author.
- Response to Tablesaw's comment - blog posting containing the first mention of the game, 13-Nov-2008.
- Calendar page updated - The original discussion which inspired this game, 08-Nov-2008.
- The Nemean Lion - at IFDB.
- The Nemean Lion - at ifwizz interactive fiction (in German)