ClubFloyd was founded on September 2, 2007. The idea behind it is that each week at a pre-arranged time (), people can meet online to cooperatively play a game of interactive fiction.
Currently, which game to play is decided at the beginning of the session by asking players to vote from a list of games at surveymonkey. Whichever game gets the most votes is what gets played.
Originally, which game to play and when to play it was decided on in advance via the use of the ClubFloyd Suggestions object (located in the Toyshop and Floyditorium). The suggestions object text reads:
*** Welcome to ClubFloyd! ***
ClubFloyd meets here each Sunday at noon Eastern. If you'd like to know what we'll be playing each week, it's generally posted to the #ClubFloyd bb here on ifMUD, as well as to the RSS feed at http://www.allthingsjacq.com/cf-feed.xml (if you're on LiveJournal, you could also put lj user ClubFloyd on your flist).
To see how things work, you can read through past transcripts at http://www.allthingsjacq.com/interactive_fiction.html#clubfloyd
ClubFloyd games absolutely must be programmed in ADRIFT, AGT, Choice Script, Glulx, Hugo, Inform, or TADS (2 or 3) because those are the only games that run on our bot, Floyd. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: As of March 2011 there is no longer a two hour game time constraint, as we have decided to try playing some longer games over multiple ClubFloyd sessions.
Here is a list of games that have been suggested in the past:To suggest another game, sign this object:
Above Far, Anchorhead, Alabaster, All Things Devours, The Apprentice, Augmented Fourth, Babel, Beyond, Bronze, Centipede, The Coast House, The Cruise, Delusions, Down, EGC, Paper Chase, Episode in the Life of an Artist, Eric the Power-Mad Dungeon Master, Foggywood Hijinx, For A Change, Glass, Gourmet, Heroes, Kaged, LASH, Letters from Home, Make it Good, Matha's Big Date, Mobius, Moments Out of Time, A New Day, Once and Future, Operate!, Photopia, The Plant, The Questionable Substitute, Risorgimento Represso, Savoir-Faire, Scary House Amulet!, Shade, Six Stories, Slouching Towards Bedlam, So Far, Vespers
- ClubFrançois was the nickname of a special all-French session on 18 July 2010.
- NightFloyd is a night-time version of ClubFloyd that currently runs on Thursday nights at 10:30 pm Eastern. The first NightFloyd session was hosted by genericgeekgirl on Wednesday 31 August 2011. NightFloyd tends to favor longer games that require several sessions to complete.
The quick way to tell Floyd to do something is with the "f" command, e.g.:
- f take keys is the same as the mud command ..Floyd take keys
You can also whisper to Floyd with the "wf" command, but whispering to Floyd is discouraged during ClubFloyd games.
There's two buttons in the Toyshop to help players tell Floyd to push the spacebar or enter key:
- push green button or push space or push spacebar tells Floyd to push the spacebar.
- push yellow button or push enter or push return tells Floyd to push the enter key.
There is also an 'automatic' saving tool in the Toyshop which will keep track of multiple save points.
- push save tells Floyd to save the game. Each time you push this button, the save file changes sequentially.
- push restore tells Floyd to restore the last save point.
- reset save clears the save counter so that it's ready to use in a new game.
Originally, there was no way to display the status bar from a game. A new experimental terp by vimes, introduced in 2012, is designed just for ClubFloyd and not only displays the status bar, but also marks up where bold and italic text appears in the game output.
Games played from 2007 to 2010
See the archive page: ClubFloyd/Games played in 2007 to 2010.
Games played in 2011
- 1st January 2011: Death Off the Cuff (Simon Christiansen; 2010; Z-code) and The Coast House (Dan Newton and Stephen Newton; 2001; TADS 2).
- 8th January 2011: Starborn (Juhana Leinonen; 2011; Z-code) and The day I hugged Ghandi! (Taleslinger; 2011; Z-code).
- 15th January 2011: Drama Queen 7 - Mother knows best (HermDog; 2010; Z-code) and The Unicorn Pool (Tiddy Ogg; 2010; Z-code 5).
- 22nd January 2011: Mite (Sara Dee; 2010; Z-code).
- 29th January 2011: The People's Glorious Revolutionary Text Adventure Game (Taylor Vaughan; 2010; Z-code) and Baby Uncle New Year (Jonathan Blask; 2011; Hugo).
- 5th February 2011: Flight of the Hummingbird (Michael Martin; 2010; Z-code).
- 12th February 2011: Divis Mortis (Lynnea Dally; 2010; Glulx).
- 19th February 2011: > by @ (Aaron A. Reed; 2010; Z-code) and Tryst of Fate (G. M. Zagurski; 1997; Z-code).
- 26th February 2011: (No game; we were at the XYZZY Awards 2010 ceremony instead.)
- 5th March 2011: Degeneracy (Leonard Richardson; 2001; Z-code).
- 12th March 2011: Hunter, in Darkness (Andrew Plotkin; 1999; Z-code).
- 19th March 2011: all the PAX East 2011 Speed-IF games.
- 26th March 2011: A Simple Theft (Mark Musante; 2000; TADS 2) and A Simple Theft 2: A Simple Theftier (Mark Musante; 2010).
- 2nd April 2011: Book and Volume (Nick Montfort; 2005; Z-code).
- 9th April 2011: Heroes (Sean Barrett; 2001; Z-code).
- 16th April 2011: all Speed-IF Jacket 4 games.
- 23rd April 2011: The Chinese Room (Joey Jones and Harry Giles; 2007; Glulx).
- 30th April 2011: The Best Man (Rob Menke; 2000; Z-code).
- 1st May 2011: Indigo New Language Speed-IF games by various authors.
- 14th May 2011: Plundered Hearts (Amy Briggs; Infocom; 1987; Z-code).
- 21st May 2011: Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It (Jeff O'Neill; Infocom; 1987; Z-code).
- 28th May 2011: Scary House Amulet! (Ricardo Dague; 2002; Z-code).
- 4th June 2011: Choice of Broadsides (Dan Fabulich; 2010; ChoiceScript).
- SUNDAY 12th June 2011 and Saturday 18th June 2011: Fish! (publisher: Magnetic Scrolls; 1988).
- 25th June 2011: Suspended (Michael Berlyn, publisher: Infocom; 1983; Z-code).
- 9th July 2011: Wishbringer: The Magick Stone of Dreams (Brian Moriarty; Infocom; 1985; Z-code).
- 16th July 2011: All Things Devours (half sick of shadows; 2004; Z-code).
- 23rd July 2011: the top three IntroComp 2011 entries.
- 20th August 2011: For A Change (Dan Schmidt; 1999; Z-code).
- 31st August 2011: The Multi-Dimensional Thief (Joel Finch; 1991; AGT).
- 7th September 2011: Everybody Loves a Parade (Cody Sandifer; 1997; TADS 2).
- 14th September 2011: Scavenger (Quintin Stone; 2003; TADS 2).
- 21st September 2011: Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish Out of Me (Jon Ingold and Mike Sousa; 2002; TADS 2).
- 20th November 2011: Taco Fiction (Ryan Veeder; 2011; Glulx).
- 27th November 2011: Thanksgiving Speed-IF games by various authors.
- 4th December 2011: Six (Wade Clarke; 2011; Glulx).
- 11th December 2011: Things (Jacqueline A. Lott and Sam Kabo Ashwell; 2004; TADS 2), In Search of Velocitas fictus (Jacqueline A. Lott; 2007; Z-code), Within a Wreath of Dewdrops, or, A Poisoned Zenith (Sam Kabo Ashwell and Jacqueline A. Lott, both as "Alphonse de l'Entaille"; 2005; Z-code), This is the game that I wrote (David Welbourn; 2006; Z-code), and The Invisible Argonaut (Jacqueline A. Lott; 2003; Z-code).
- 18th December 2011: The Play (Dietrich Squinkifer, writing as Deirdra Kiai; Web browser).
- 25th December 2011: Escape From Santaland (Jason Ermer; 2011; Z-code).
Games played in 2012
- 1st and 8th January 2012: The penultimate not numbered New Year's Speed IF games by various authors.
- 15th and 22nd January 2012: The Hugo "Open House" Competition games by various authors.
- 29th January 2012: Pigpancake (Aubra Penner; Z-code), Moonwrecked (Colin Sandel and Carolyn VanEseltine; Z-code), Hangar 22 (Rob O'Hara; Z-code), and Ecto Horror (Jonathan Blask; Hugo).
- 5th February 2012: Pale Blue Light (Kazuki Mishima; Z-code) and My Girlfriend's An Evil Bitch (Divarin; Glulx).
- 12th February 2012: Kerkerkruip (Victor Gijsbers; Glulx) and Mangiasaur (DCBSupafly; ADRIFT 4).
- 19th February 2012: Bonehead (Sean M. Shore; Glulx).
- 26th February 2012: Just the beginning of Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis (Adam Thornton; Glulx) followed by Cana According To Micah (Christopher Huang; Z-code).
- 4th March 2012: Kids, don't eat your Halloween candy (Dan Shiovitz; TADS 2) and Djibouti Dirigible Discombobulation (Sam Kabo Ashwell; Z-code). This session was keep short so everyone could attend the ceremony for XYZZY Awards 2011 later that day.
- 11th March 2012: Nostrils of Flesh and Clay (Porpentine; 2012; Z-code).
- 18th March 2012: The Cruise (Norman Perlmutter; TADS 2).
- 25th March 2012: Vespers (Jason Devlin; 2005; Z-code).
- 1st April 2012: The Green Mountains (Clark Radwin; 2011; Glulx) and Centipede (J. Robinson Wheeler; 2001; Z-code).
- 8th April 2012: Muggle Studies (M. Flourish Klink; 2012; Glulx).
- 18th April 2012: A Comedy of Error Messages (Adam Le Doux; 2011; Z-code). This was our first "NightFloyd" session on Wednesday nights.
- 22nd April 2012: Further games of Apollo 18+20: The Statue Got Me High (Ryan Veeder; 2012; Z-code), Spider (Andrew Schultz; 2012; Z-code) and The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight) (Jason B. Alonso, Catherine Havasi, and Val Grimm; Z-code).
- 25th April 2012: Endless, Nameless (Adam Cadre; 2012; Z-code).
- 29th April 2012: Further games of Apollo 18+20: Dinner Bell (Jenni Polodna; 2012; Z-code), Hall of Heads (Dan Efran with 'Becca Stallings; 2012; Z-code), and See the Constellation (Ed Blair; 2012; Z-code).
- 18 April - 23 May 2012 (five sessions): [Heist]] (Andy Phillips; 1997; Z-code).
- 6th May 2012: Further games of Apollo 18+20: Which Describes How You're Feeling (Adam Parrish; 2012; Glulx), If I Wasn't Shy (Joey Jones; 2012; Z-code), Turn Around (Andrew Schultz; 2012; Glulx), and Hypnotist of Ladies (David Cornelson; 2012; Z-code).
- 13th May 2012: Further games of Apollo 18+20: Fingertips: Everything Is Catching On Fire (E. Joyce; 2012; Z-code]]), Fingertips: Fingertips (Michael Hilborn; 2012; Z-code), Fingertips: Hey Now, Everybody (Melvin Rangasamy; 2012; Z-code), Fingertips: Who's That Standing Out the Window (Melvin Rangasamy; 2012; Z-code), Fingertips: I Found a New Friend (Adri; 2012; Z-code), Fingertips: Come On and Wreck My Car (Paul Laroquod; 2012; Z-code), and Fingertips: Aren't You the Guy Who Hit Me in the Eye? (Michael Hilborn; 2012; Z-code).
- 20th May 2012: Further games of Apollo 18+20: Fingertips: Please Pass the Milk Please (Adri; 2012; Z-code), Fingertips: Leave Me Alone (Kevin Jackson-Mead; 2012; Z-code), Fingertips: Who's Knockin' on the Wall? (Melvin Rangasamy; 2012; Z-code), Fingertips: All Alone (Joey Jones; 2012; Z-code), and Fingertips: What's That Blue Thing Doing Here? (Ruth Alfasso; 2012; Z-code).
- 29 May - 17 August 2012: Heroine's Mantle (Andy Phillips; 2000; Z-code).
- 1st June 2012: Further games of Apollo 18+20: Fingertips: Something Grabbed Ahold of My Hand (Melvin Rangasamy; 2012; Z-code), Fingertips: I Don't Understand You (Matt Weiner; 2012; Z-code), Fingertips: I Heard a Sound (Kevin Jackson-Mead; 2012; Z-code), Fingertips: Mysterious Whispers by (Peter Nepstad; 2012; Glulx), Fingertips: The Day That Love Came to Play (S. John Ross; 2012; Z-code), Fingertips: I'm Having a Heart Attack (Andrew Schultz; 2012; Z-code), and Fingertips: Fingertips (Reprise) (Melvin Rangasamy; 2012; Z-code).
- 10th June 2012: Further games of Apollo 18+20: Fingertips: I Walk Along Darkened Corridors (Andrew Schultz; 2012; Z-code) and Space Suit (Andrew Schultz; 2012; Z-code).
- 17th June 2012: Retro-Nemesis (Robb Sherwin; 2012; Hugo) and The Rocket Man from the Sea (Janos Honkonen; 2012; Z-code).
- 24th June 2012: Foggywood Hijinx (Ivan Cockrum; 1998; TADS 2).
- 1st July 2012: The Plant (Michael J. Roberts; 1998; TADS 2).
- 8th July 2012: Speculative Fiction (full version) (Diane Christoforo and Thomas Mack; 2012; Z-code).
- 15th July 2012: IF Whispers 5 (The IF Whispers Team; 2012; Z-code).
- 22nd July 2012: Sting of the Wasp (Jason Devlin; 2004; Z-code).
- 29th July 2012: Olivia's Orphanorium (Sam Kabo Ashwell; 2012; Glulx).
- 19th August 2012: Coffins (Christopher Huang; 1998; Z-code) and The Hand That Rocks The Pumpkin (Christopher Huang; 1998; Z-code).
- 26th August 2012: Games of IntroComp 2012: Resonance (Nereida Scales; 2012; ChoiceScript) and Compliance (Chris Conley; 2012; Glulx).
- 2nd September 2012: Further games of Introcomp 2012: Belief (Justin de Vesine; 2012; Glulx).
- 9th and 16th September 2012: Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom (S. John Ross; 2007; Z-code).
- 23rd and 30th September 2012: Delusions (C. E. Forman; 1996; Z-code).
- 18th September - 7th November 2012: The Legend Lives! (David Baggett; 1994; TADS 2).
- 31st October 2012: Hallow Eve (Michael Wayne Phipps Jr.; 2011; Glulx).
- 18th November 2012: Andromeda Apocalypse (Marco Innocenti; 2012; Glulx).
- 21st November 2012: Gardening for Beginners (Juhana Leinonen; 2008; Z-code) and Conan Kill Everything (Ian Haberkorn; 2005; Z-code).
- 25th November 2012: Eurydice (Anonymous; 2012; Z-code).
- 28th November 2012: Tenth Plague (Lynnea Dally; 2011; Z-code).
- 2nd December 2012: Changes (David Given; 2012; Z-code).
- 9th December 2012: Guilded Youth (Jim Munroe; 2012; Web browser).
- 12th December 2012: The Immortal (Just Rob; 2007; Z-code).
- 16th December 2012: Sunday Afternoon (Christopher Huang; 2012; Z-code).
- 19th December 2012: Sentencing Mr Liddell (I-K. Huuhtanen; 2011; Glulx).
- 23rd December 2012: Spiral (Justin Morgan; 2012; Z-code).
Games played in 2013
- 6th January 2013: 2013 Ultimate Not Numbered New Year's Speed IF games: Ex Nihilo (Juhana Leinonen; 2013; Web browser), Emma II (David Fletcher; 2013; TADS 3), Disenchantment Bay (Jacqueline A. Lott; 2013; Z-code), and Short of Sushi (Paul Stanley; 2013; Z-code).
- 9th January 2013: Ghosterington Night (Wade Clarke; 2012; Z-code).
- 13th January 2013: 2013 Ultimate Not Numbered New Year's Speed IF game: The Day I died (Marius Müller; 2013; Z-code).
- 3rd February 2013: Bigger Than You Think (Andrew Plotkin; 2012; Glulx).
- 10th February 2013: Andromeda Dreaming (Joey Jones; 2012; Glulx).
- 17th February 2013: Choice of Kung Fu (Alana Joli Abbott; 2012; Web browser and smartphones).
- 24th February 2013: Nautilisia (Ryan Veeder; 2012; Z-code).
- 3rd March 2013: Cut the Red Wire! No, the Blue Wire! (David Whyld; 2012; ADRIFT 4), The Kazooist (Charlie Marcou; 2012; Z-code), and And A Hippo New Year (Adri; 2012; Z-code).
- 10th March 2013: Zorkian Stories 1: G.U.E. (Marshal Tenner Winter; 2012; Z-code).
- 17th March 2013: Under the Bed (Dan Doyle III; 2012; Z-code).
- 24th March 2013: The Forgotten Girls (Brent H.; 2012; Z-code).
- 31st March 2013: The Subtropical Server Room (Andrew Schultz; 2012; Z-code).
- 7th April 2013: A Killer Headache (Mike Ciul; 2012; Glulx).
- 11th April 2013: Olivia's Orphanorium (Sam Kabo Ashwell; 2012; Glulx).