Revision as of 18:35, 25 July 2005 by Thorsby
- 1 Game Releases
- 2 Review & Article News
- 3 Competitions & Contest News
- 4 Website News
- 5 Tech News
July 2005 Game Releases
- Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment by Ben Croshaw. Graphical point-and-click game. Download from authors page
- IntroComp 2005 released the following seven games:
- The Amazing Uncle Griswold (David Whyld; 24-Jul-2005; Adrift).
- Deadsville (William McDuff; 24-Jul-2005; Z-code).
- The Fox, The Dragon, and The Stale Loaf of Bread (David Welbourn; 24-Jul-2005; Z-code).
- The Hobbit (Serhei Makarov; 24-Jul-2005; Z-code).
- Negotis: Book 1 (Robert DeFord; 24-Jul-2005; TADS 3).
- Somewhen (Bryce J. Rhaiz; 24-Jul-2005; Z-code).
- Weishaupt Scholars: Prologue (Michael Martin; 24-Jul-2005; Z-code).
- Crazy Old Bag Lady (Sprite; 16-Jul-2005; Adrift).
- The First Mile (Howard A. Sherman, publisher: Malinche Entertainment; 15-Jul-2005; Z-code). Commercial; available from Malinche's page for The First Mile.
- Dog Show (Mrs. Drallos' Fourth Grade PACE class; 10-Jul-2005; Z-code). Written with Adventure Book. Winner (and only entry) to LOTECH Comp 2005.
- Façade (Michael Mateas and Andrew Stern; 05-Jul-2005; MS-Windows). Homepage. Currently runs only on Windows XP, 2000 or ME, requires a 1.6 GHz processor or faster, and is 800 MB to download. Also, this "one act interactive drama" is possibly not "IF" as it's usually defined.
June 2005 Game Releases
- CCAB Comp 2005 released three games sometime between June 19th and June 22nd. Download from either of the competition's homepages and vote for:
- Escape to Freedom (Richard Otter; 16-Jun-2005; Adrift). This is an Adrift port of a Commodore 64 game by Mario Moeller originally created in 1989. Download from Delron page.
- Space War!...and the PDP-1 (Paul Allen Panks; 15-Jun-2005; MS-DOS).
- Decisions (David Whyld; 05-Jun-2005; Adrift). ShadowVault Download.
May 2005 Game Releases
- Little Falls (Alessandro Schillaci, Roberto Grassi, Simonato Enrico, publisher: Mondi Confinanti; 27-May-2005; Glulx). Italian. Download from the Little Falls page.
- Segment Mini-Comp released 4 of the planned 6 games on May 26th. Download the games from the Segment Mini-Comp page:
- Snowman Sextet Part I: But For A Single Flake a.k.a. Segment 1 (Roger Carbol; TADS 2).
- Snowman Sextet - Part II a.k.a. Segment 2 (Jess Knoch; Z-code).
- Kaboot's Story a.k.a. Segment 4 (Josh Giesbrecht; Z-code).
- Fran and Bart Want a Snowman! Part V: Halfway Back Again a.k.a. Segment 5 (Tommy Herbert; Z-code).
- Weekend (Pierre; 26-May-2005; TADS 2).
- Dawn of the Demon (Paul Drallos; 23-May-2005; Z-code). Go to Paul Drallos' website for info and downloads.
- ADRIFT Intro Comp 2005 games were released on May 21st. Download the entries, and vote!:
- In The Claws Of Clueless Bob (David Whyld; 18-May-2005; Adrift). Download from the Adrift website
- All Hope Abandon (Eric Eve; 07-May-2005; TADS 3). Download from IF Archive or here.
- Creepy Mansion (Kevin Lyons; 03-May-2005; MS-Windows). Requires .NET. Download from the Creepy Mansion website. Note that this is a free demo version, and that an expanded version for a small fee is planned.
(See also Games Released in 2005.)
Review & Article News
Reviews and News in July 2005
- SPAG 41 released on July 15th. Contains reviews of Bolivia By Night, Catseye, Conan Kill Everything, The Dreamhold, Façade, The Fire Tower, Heist, Moonglow, Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, and Wumpus 2000.
- Forbes article on Malinche - "Interactive Fiction Comes of Age; 'Novel' of 21st Century Goes Mobile; Available on iPod July 15". Contains short quotes from Howard A. Sherman and Marc Blank.
- Review Exchange - Issue 5 (July 2005) is now available from David Whyld's Shadow Vault. Contains reviews of The Adventure Of Space Boy!, Escape To Freedom, The Final Question, The Fire Tower, Future Boy, Halloween Hijinks, In The Claws Of Clueless Bob, Lauren’s Awakening, Murder Mansion, Must Escape!,Normville, Outline, Point 2 Point, Rift, Sex Artist, Silk Road Secrets: Samarkand To Lop Nor, The Will, Zack Smackfoot: Escape The Jungle Terror.
Reviews and News in June 2005
Reviews and News in May 2005
- InsideADRIFT 23 Articles by David Whyld, Richard Otter and Christy Henshaw.
- Review Exchange - Issue 4 (May 2005) is now available from David Whyld's Shadow Vault. Contains reviews of Authority, Bedlam, Bolivia, Castle Quest, A Day At The Seaside, Fire In The Blood, Flat Feet, Frustrated Interviewee, House Husband, How It All Started, The Monster In The Mirror, The Mystery Of The Darkhaven Caves, Private Eye, The Prostitute, Selma’s Will, Threnody, Whom The Telling Changed.
Competitions & Contest News
- IntroComp 2005 released seven bright new introductions of new games on July 24th. Voting ends on Sat. August 6th, 2005, 11:59 EST. Organizer: Jacqueline A. Lott.
Results of Recent Competitions
- LOTECH Comp 2005 had one entry, which was declared the winner on July 10th. That game was Dog Show (Mrs. Drallos' Fourth Grade PACE class; Z-code), written with Adventure Book.
- CCAB Comp 2005 a.k.a. Christopher Cole and A. Bomire's AIF Comp had three entries. 15 people voted on June 27th, and the winning game was Sex Artist (A. Ninny; TADS 2).
- Segment Mini-Comp released four of the six planned games on May 26th, where authors were to write up sections of a larger story. See Segment Mini-Comp. Organizer: David Cornelson.
- ADRIFT Intro Comp 2005 was a minicomp for beginnings of ADRIFT games. The results were announced on May 28th, and the winner was Silk Road Secrets: Samarkand to Lop Nor (C. Henshaw).
- Spring Thing 2005 concluded on May 2nd. The winner was Whom The Telling Changed (Aaron A. Reed; Z-code).
- InsideADRIFT Spring Comp 2005 concluded on May 1st with a three way tie for first place: Fire in the Blood (Richard Otter), Frustrated Interviewee (Robert Rafgon), and Private Eye (David Whyld).
Authors should be working on their entries for:
- French Mini-If-Comp, announced April 17th. Submission deadline to be determined; originally, June 21st was proposed. Potential authors should visit the submission date voting page and vote when they want the new deadline to be. The earliest proposed submission deadline is July 20th. Final submission deadline around September 30th. Organizer: Otto Grimwald (original idea by Stab).
- InsideADRIFT Summer Comp 2005, for new Adrift games. Submission deadline: August 21st. Organizer: Ken Franklin.
- The 2nd Annual (2005) 1 to 2K Classic Text Adventure Competition: Submission deadline: September 10th. Organiser: Paul Panks
- MedievoComp is a comp for Spanish IF with a medieval theme. Submission deadline: September 11th. Organizers: Baltasar and Urbatain.
- 11th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition is the big competition in October. Intent deadline: September 1st, 11:59pm EST. Submission deadline: September 30th, 11:59pm EST. Donate prizes. Organizer: Stephen Granade.
- Finish The Game Comp 2005 for Adrift games. Submission deadline: Saturday, 24th September 2005. Organizer: David Whyld.
- InsideADRIFT End of Year Comp 2005, for both new Adrift games and any Adrift game released during the 2005 calendar year. Submission deadline: December 18th. Organizer: Ken Franklin.
- Rumours are buzzing about a possible Hugo Mini-Comp? Suggested submission date: July 4th.
- Will there be an IF Art Show this year? Probably, but no announcement has been made yet. Details here when we have 'em.
- IFCollab is the new home of the IF Collaborators List, currently maintained by Mike Snyder.
- Game of the Week is a site suggesting one game each week to discuss on rec.games.int-fiction. The idea is to get more attention to non-comp games, to the benefit of authors and players alike.
- Renga in Blue is Jason Dyer's new IF blog. Check it out!
- IFWiki officially open to the public on Feb. 10, 2005.
- Plover.net gets hacked twice, hampering efforts to move accounts to a new machine. Seebs is working hard on the problem.
- IF Primogenesis- Mind's Eye Adventures IF Gold a brand-new IF community site dedicated to preservation of IF public heritage works as a new WIP Database. Similar efforts have preserved games on other platforms, eg. the Classic Amiga Preservation Society is one model community. This one is being developed, so stay posted for go-live updated website soon.
- Filfre v. 0.92 released Jul. 14, 2005 by Jimmy Maher.
- Windows Frotz 2002 1.07 released on May 21, 2005 by David Kinder.
- Rumour: Inform 7 is in the works. No release date is known.