IF Theory Reader
This work was called the "IF Theory Book" during its long development. Eventually after a long hiatus and a change of editors, the book was finally published.
Note: The Glossary category on this wiki was originally created on another wiki to be included in the IF Theory Book.
Table of Contents
- Toward a Theory of Interactive Fiction — Nick Montfort
- Characterizing, If Not Defining, Interactive Fiction — Andrew Plotkin
- not that you may remember time: Interactive Fiction, Stream-of-Consciousness Writing, and Free Will — Mark Silcox
- 2 Brief Dada Angels — Ryan Stevens, writing as Rybread Celsius
- Object Relations — Graham Nelson
- IF as Argument — Duncan Stevens
- The Success of Genre in Interactive Fiction — Neil Yorke-Smith
- Parser at the Threshold: Lovecraftian Horror in Interactive Fiction — Michael Gentry
- Distinguishing Between Game Design and Analysis: One View — Gareth Rees
- Natural Language, Semantic Analysis, and Interactive Fiction — Graham Nelson
- Afterword: Five Years Later — Graham Nelson
- Challenges of a Broad Geography — Emily Short
- Thinking Into the Box: On the Use and Deployment of Puzzles — Jon Ingold
- PC Personality and Motivations — Duncan Stevens
- Landscape and Character in IF — Paul O'Brian
- Hint Development for IF — Lucian Smith
- Descriptions Constructed — Stephen Granade
- Mapping the Tale: Scene Description in IF — J. Robinson Wheeler
- Repetition of Text in Interactive Fiction — Jason Dyer
- NPC Dialogue Writing — Robb Sherwin
- NPC Conversation Systems — Emily Short
- 10 Years of IF: 1994–2004 — Duncan Stevens
- The Evolution of Short Works: From Sprawling Cave Crawls to Tiny Experiments — Stephen Granade
- History of Italian IF — Francesco Cordella
- Racontons une histoire ensemble: History and Characteristics of French IF — Hugo Labrande
Staff for "IF Theory Reader"
- Project leader: Kevin Jackson-Mead
- Editors: Kevin Jackson-Mead and J. Robinson Wheeler
- Editor Emeritus (uncredited): Emily Short
- Typesetting and proofing: Kevin Jackson-Mead
- Cover art: J. Robinson Wheeler
Staff for "IF Theory Book"
NOTE: This section is no longer accurate and is included only for historical reasons.
- Publisher: David Cornelson.
- Chief Editor: Emily Short.
- Theory Section Editor: Dennis G. Jerz.
- Additional Editors: Jon Ingold, Brendan Barnwell, Brent VanFossen, and Adam Thornton.