Standard Genre Element
Monarchy often appears as the default government system in heroic, lazy medieval or fairy tale fantasy. Neither explicitly advocated nor necessarily criticized, monarchy is here employed as an element of setting, to establish genre or to provide the player with plot impetus such as a quest.
- Gifts of Phallius 2: The Key to Eternity (GoblinBoy; 2006; TADS 2)
- Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom (S. John Ross; 2007; Z-code)
Comedy and Satire
- The Zork series, in which the Flathead dynasty subjects the Great Underground Empire to hypertrophic misrule
- Varicella (Adam Cadre; 1999; Z-code), largely dealing with the sordid struggle for succession in a modern-era, alternate-Earth Italian city-state
- Augmented Fourth (Brian Uri; 2000; Z-code), in which a punishment meted out by a despotic monarch sparks off the action