A game state in which a winning ending can no longer be achieved, usually because some required objects or rooms are no longer accessible. Distinct from a losing ending because the game play does not automatically cease at this point; the player may spend some time wandering around without realizing that the game has been rendered unwinnable. (See: winnable)
- Unwinnable States in the IF Gems review quotes collection (also available from the IF Archive).
- Unwinnable, Unwinnable By Design and Unwinnable By Mistake at the TV Tropes Wiki.
- Discussions about winnability on the rec.arts.int-fiction newsgroup.
- Unwinnability and Wishbringer - article by Andrew Plotkin, February 14, 2021.
- Text Adventure Game Design in 2020 - article by Chris Ainsley, May 8, 2020.