Welcome to the Interactive Fiction Wiki
Tuesday, January 18, 2022
IFWiki is an encyclopedia of interactive fiction, including IF history, theory, craft, tools, and people. IFWiki serves as both a historical record of community knowledge and a guide to resources for playing and creating interactive fiction.
What's new in the IF scene:
- IFDB's adoption by the Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation
- NarraScope, a games conference hosted by the Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation
- ngPAWS, a PAW-like authoring system for web-based IF by Uto
- Gruescript, a parser/choice hybrid development language by Robin Johnson
Still going strong:
- Annual competitions like IF Comp, Spring Thing, and the XYZZY Awards
- Popular parser-based authoring tools like Inform 7, TADS, Dialog, and Quest
- Popular choice-based authoring tools like Twine, ChoiceScript, ink, Squiffy and Texture
- Retro-style parser authoring tools like Adventuron and PunyInform
- Experimentation in parser, choice and hybrid IF
- Meetup groups like Boston's People's Republic of Interactive Fiction and San Francisco's SF Bay Area Interactive Fiction Group
- 17: Winter TADS Jam 2021/2022: Last day for registration and submission.
- 31: Winter TADS Jam 2021/2022: Voting closes.
- 5: Winter TADS Jam 2021/2022: Results announced.
(More news at Competition news)
Feature of the Day
- Basic Train-ing (bpsp; 2010; Z-code).
- Downtown Train (Owen Lockett; 2004; Z-code).
- The Ghost Train (Paul T. Johnson; 2003; Z-code).
- Late Train To Nowhere (Michael D. Hilborn; 2009; Z-code).
- Reality Railroad (Admiral Jota; 2003; Z-code).
- Ticket to No Where (Richard Otter; 2004; ADRIFT).
- Train (Sly Dog; 2005; ADRIFT 4).
- Trainstopping (Ben Collins-Sussman; 2007; Z-code).
- Tube Trouble (Richard Tucker; 1995; Z-code).
- What is "interactive fiction"?
- How can I download and play IF?
- Where can I find out what games I might enjoy?
- Where can I talk with other people who are into IF?
Check out these articles!
- See Craft for how-to articles.
- See Theory for articles on IF concepts.
- See Starters if you're new to IF.
You want to help edit the IFWiki? Great!