Adrift Forum Digest
Please note that this is a mirrored version of the corresponding entry on the AdriftWiki.
This page highlights selected topics from the Adrift Forum. New additions to this collection will be published in the InsideAdrift newsletter (Weblink) as well. So far, this collection only covers topics newer than January 1, 2005. Threads are sorted by topic and date.
Last update: June 10, 2007.
Sorted By Topic
Main Resource: ADRIFT 5 Beta Testing Forum
Main Resource #1: Adrift Help and Reference Forum
Main Resource #2: INFO: Guide to help topics available
- Converting fractions to integers.
- Best practices with events
- (no female)?
- Variables and Conversations
- NPC and Location?
- NPCs and Movement
- Player descriptions
- General babbling about aliases and synonyms.
- Using "it" in a command
- Bug with %variable1% must equal %variable2%
- Events before room description
- Operator precedence in numeric expressions
- say subject to character - use of synonyms
- Items required to exit room, different response for each item
- Are reusable events possible?, Can an event be re-triggered by a task?
- Comparing Variables
- Conversation, stopping and starting
- Moving on the turn count
- Notepad / journal
- Changing static object's description...
- Repeating positive scores when repeating a task
- Trouble with events
- Event triggering when someone enters a room?
- Problem with task involving the player's name
- Removing static objects
- Moving the inventory back and forth?
- Move character to same room as object
- Map problems
- Conversation System Tutorial - Part 1 (Basic) and Part 2 (Medium)
- Conversation System
Game Design, Writing Techniques
- Game design question
- The Walking Dead
- Genre question
- Best / worst puzzles
- A maze amazes
- Presentation / Default Look
- Do you like writing descriptions?
- Serial IF
- How do you write yours?
- Getting rid of examine
- Creating puzzles
- IF & Immorality
- How does David do it!? Or ANYONE who completes a game?
- My god! It's full of objects!
- Details or full plotline first?
- Too many clichés. Are clichés just dear old friends?
- Interactive Novels
- Forgotten Genres
- Directions in a game, do you always stick by the compass?
- Game Openings
- Telling the Player What the Commands Are, Or Can We End Guess the Verb?
- Things not allowed to do in a game
- Secrets and Alternatives
- The PC
- Describing what isn't there...
- Where do you get your ideas?
- The role of story in IF
- Is fairness in IF games overrated?
- What's cool to have in an RPG?
- inspired by the bulldog
- Is lots of detail worth the effort?
- Game Expectations
- how do you make a good game?
- Control Panel
- Font sizes
- Get it off your chest, What do you hate about IF games?
- Sound and graphics
- Automatically picking up items
- Clearing the screen
- Pet peeves
- Researching Puzzles
- What is the largest file you would be willing to download
- How would you rate yourself as an adventurer?
- Enjoyability. What makes your boat float?
- Random acts
- IF with a story only. Your thoughts?
- Disabling the map
- How Much Would You Pay?
- Time-based puzzles
- Favorite genre?
- A little survey
- Interactive Battles
Main Resource #1: Adrift Competitions
Main Resource #2: General IF Competitions
- Spring Thing 2007: Spring Thing Results and Spring Thing 2007
- IF Comp 2006: Results and Random thoughts on the IF Comp
- Spring Thing 2006: Spring Thing Results
- IF Comp 2005: IF Comp Results, A few random thoughts on the IFComp 2005 and IF Comp 2005 discussion
- The Future of ADRIFT and IF
- Feedback here vs feedback there
- Commercial games and EBay
- Newcomers: Have Your Say!
- The Bigger Picture
- Increasing the appeal of IF
- Switching PC characters
- Can horror IF be truly scary?
- Writing vs Playing
- Introducing IF to a wider audience
- Hey, who wants to hear a really dumb idea?, ... A collaborative game.
- Newbies and mazes
- Why haven't you finished a game?
- Writing more than one game a year
- Fear of Theft
- When does a game become adult?
- When is a game too hot to handle. When is a game considered Adult
Sorted by Issue
Forum Digest 1 (April 1st to May 22, 2006): Published in the InsideAdrift 29 May/June 2006 issue.
Forum Digest 2 (May 23 to July 19, 2006): Published in the InsideAdrift 30 July/August 2006 issue.
Forum Digest 3 (July 19 to September 29, 2006): Published in the InsideAdrift 31 September/October 2006 issue.
Forum Digest 4 (September 30 to November 22, 2006): Published in the InsideAdrift 32 November/December 2006 issue.
Forum Digest 5 (November 22, 2006 to January 25, 2007): Published in the InsideAdrift 33 January/February 2007 issue.
Forum Digest 6 (January 25 to March 27, 2007): Published in the InsideAdrift 34 March/April 2007 issue.
Forum Digest 7 (March 27 to June May 25, 2007): Published in the InsideAdrift 35 May/June 2007 issue.