Welcome to the Interactive Fiction Wiki
Sunday, December 3, 2023
IFWiki is an encyclopedia of interactive fiction, including IF history, theory, craft, tools, and people. IFWiki serves as both a historical record of community knowledge and a guide to resources for playing and creating interactive fiction.
Competitions and jams
- InkJam 2023 (Results announced: 4 Nov 2023)
- IFComp 2023 (Results announced: 19 Nov 2023) – First place: Dr Ludwig and the Devil
- ECTOCOMP 2023 (Results announced: 1 Dec 2023)
- Partim 500 numéro 8 (Submissions begin: 16 Dec 2023)
- PunyJam 4 (Submissions due: 17 Dec 2023)
- ShuffleComp 2023 (Submissions due: 5 Jan 2024)
- Text Adventure Literacy Jam 2024 (Submissions begin: 29 Feb 2024)
- Spring Thing 2024 (Registration ends: 1 Mar 2024)
- SeedComp! 2024 (Submissions due: 1 Mar 2024)
- Concours de Fiction Interactive Francophone 2024 (Submissions due: 4 Mar 2024)
- IFComp 2024 (Registration ends: 1 Aug 2024)
Meetings and conferences
- ClubFloyd (weekly meeting)
- People's Republic of Interactive Fiction (monthly meeting)
- Seattle IF Group (monthly meeting)
- SF Bay Area Interactive Fiction Group (monthly meeting)
Feature of the Day
From the Scots verb grue meaning "to shudder," also the root word of gruesome.
A legendary creature in Infocom games that would inevitably eat a player-character who spent too long in the darkness. [ES]
(Read more at Grue)
- What is "interactive fiction"?
- How can I download and play IF?
- Where can I find out what games I might enjoy?
- Where can I talk with other people who are into IF?
Check out these articles!
- See Craft for how-to articles.
- See Theory for articles on IF concepts.
- See Starters if you're new to IF.
- Annual competitions like IF Comp, Spring Thing, and the XYZZY Awards.
- Parser-based authoring tools like ADRIFT, Dialog, Inform 6, Inform 7 and TADS 3.
- Choice-based authoring tools like ChoiceScript, Ink and Twine.
- Hybrid authoring systems like Quest.
- Retro-style parser authoring tools like Adventuron, PunyInform and ZIL.
- 2 Dec 2023: Windows Frotz version 1.24
- 26 Nov 2023: PunyInform version 5.2
- 14 Oct 2023: Emglken version 0.5.3
- 14 Oct 2023: Parchment version 2023.10.14
- 12 Oct 2023: Git version 1.3.8
- 12 Oct 2023: Windows Git version 1.3.8
- 10 Oct 2023: Windows Glulxe version 0.6.1.153
- 9 Oct 2023: Glulxe version 0.6.1
- 30 Sep 2023: Vezza version Pre-release
- 24 Sep 2023: Frotz for iOS version 1.8.8
(Browse the software database at Drilldown: Software)
You want to help edit the IFWiki? Great!
- Check out the About IFWiki page for an overview.
- Read Help:Contents and How to edit IFWiki for detailed guidance.
You want to make a donation too?Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation. It is supported by the donations of IF supporters like you.