Welcome to the Interactive Fiction Wiki
Sunday, August 14, 2022
IFWiki is an encyclopedia of interactive fiction, including IF history, theory, craft, tools, and people. IFWiki serves as both a historical record of community knowledge and a guide to resources for playing and creating interactive fiction.
What's new in the IF scene:
- Inform 7 is now open-source!
- IFWiki has a searchable database of interpreters, authoring systems, and other software!
- The Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation has adopted IFWiki!
- ngPAWS, a PAW-like authoring system for web-based IF by Uto
- Gruescript, a parser/choice hybrid development language by Robin Johnson
Still going strong:
- Annual competitions like IF Comp, Spring Thing, and the XYZZY Awards
- Parser-based authoring tools like Inform 7, TADS, and Dialog
- Choice-based authoring tools like Twine, ChoiceScript, ink, and Squiffy
- Hybrid authoring systems like Texture and Quest
- Retro-style parser authoring tools like Adventuron, PunyInform and ZILF.
- Meetup groups like Boston's People's Republic of Interactive Fiction and San Francisco's SF Bay Area Interactive Fiction Group
- 1: IFComp 2022: Open for authors to declare their intent to enter.
- 31: ParserComp 2022: Voting closes; results announced.
- 1: IFComp 2022: Deadline for authors to declare their intent to enter.
- 28: IFComp 2022: Deadline for authors to submit their games.
(More news at Competition news)
- 9 August 2022: Ozmoo version 11
- 8 August 2022: Parchment
- 6 August 2022: Emglken version 0.5.0
- 12 July 2022: Git version 1.3.7
- 12 July 2022: Windows Git version 1.3.7
- 4 July 2022: Quixe version 2.2.1
- 30 June 2022: FrankenDrift version 0.5.0
- 25 June 2022: Glulxe version 0.6.0
- 24 May 2022: ThinBASIC Adventure Builder version 70
- 21 May 2022: M4ZVM version Release 14
(Browse the software database at Drilldown: Software)
Feature of the Day
ClubFloyd was founded on September 2, 2007. The idea behind it is that each week at a pre-arranged time, people can meet online to cooperatively play a game of interactive fiction.
(Read more at ClubFloyd)
- What is "interactive fiction"?
- How can I download and play IF?
- Where can I find out what games I might enjoy?
- Where can I talk with other people who are into IF?
Check out these articles!
- See Craft for how-to articles.
- See Theory for articles on IF concepts.
- See Starters if you're new to IF.
You want to help edit the IFWiki? Great!