Welcome to the Interactive Fiction Wiki
Saturday, December 10, 2022
IFWiki is an encyclopedia of interactive fiction, including IF history, theory, craft, tools, and people. IFWiki serves as both a historical record of community knowledge and a guide to resources for playing and creating interactive fiction.
- 19 Nov 2022: IFWiki now checks for broken external links. To help fix the links, see Replacing dead links.
- 1 Sep 2022: IFWiki has a new Events database! Upcoming events automatically show up on IFWiki's front page. Add an event!
- 28 Apr 2022: Inform 7 is now open-source!
Events and competitions
Recent competition results:
- 7 Jan 2023: Winter TADS Jam 2022/2023 — Voting begins
- 31 Jan 2023: Winter TADS Jam 2022/2023 — Voting ends
- 5 Feb 2023: Winter TADS Jam 2022/2023 — Results announced
- 7 Jan 2023: SeedComp! 2023 — Submissions due
- 9 Jan 2023: SeedComp! 2023 — Submissions begin
- 1 Mar 2023: SeedComp! 2023 — Submissions due
- 3 Mar 2023: SeedComp! 2023 — Voting begins
- 31 Mar 2023: SeedComp! 2023 — Voting ends
Frequently recurring events:
- ClubFloyd (weekly meeting)
- People's Republic of Interactive Fiction (monthly meeting)
- Seattle IF Group (monthly meeting)
- SF Bay Area Interactive Fiction Group (monthly meeting)
- 9 Dec 2022: Vezza version Pre-release
- 27 Nov 2022: Donjon FI version 2.0-beta.8
- 19 Nov 2022: PunyInform version 4.1
- 2 Oct 2022: ThinBASIC Adventure Builder version 70
- 1 Oct 2022: FrankenDrift version 0.6.0
- 31 Aug 2022: Inform 7 version 10.1.2
- 27 Aug 2022: INSTEAD version 3.5.0
- 9 Aug 2022: Ozmoo version 11
- 8 Aug 2022: Parchment
- 7 Aug 2022: M4ZVM version Release 15
(Browse the software database at Drilldown: Software)
Feature of the Day
Physical items -- brochures, photographs, small coins, glow-in-the-dark plastic stones, and other paraphernalia -- distributed along with IF software, either purely for aesthetic/immersive value, or to serve as a copy-protection mechanism (offering clues to an in-game puzzle).
(Read more at Feelies)
- What is "interactive fiction"?
- How can I download and play IF?
- Where can I find out what games I might enjoy?
- Where can I talk with other people who are into IF?
Check out these articles!
- See Craft for how-to articles.
- See Theory for articles on IF concepts.
- See Starters if you're new to IF.
- Annual competitions like IF Comp, Spring Thing, and the XYZZY Awards.
- Parser-based authoring tools like ADRIFT, Dialog, Inform 6, Inform 7 and TADS 3.
- Choice-based authoring tools like ChoiceScript, Ink and Twine.
- Hybrid authoring systems like Quest.
- Retro-style parser authoring tools like Adventuron, PunyInform and ZIL.
You want to help edit the IFWiki? Great!
- Check out the community portal for an overview.
- Read Help:Contents if you're new to editing wikis like ours.
You want to make a donation too?Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation. It is supported by the donations of IF supporters like you.