Welcome to the Interactive Fiction Wiki
Monday, May 23, 2022
IFWiki is an encyclopedia of interactive fiction, including IF history, theory, craft, tools, and people. IFWiki serves as both a historical record of community knowledge and a guide to resources for playing and creating interactive fiction.
What's new in the IF scene:
- The Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation has adopted IFWiki!
- ngPAWS, a PAW-like authoring system for web-based IF by Uto
- Gruescript, a parser/choice hybrid development language by Robin Johnson
Still going strong:
- Annual competitions like IF Comp, Spring Thing, and the XYZZY Awards
- Parser-based authoring tools like Inform 7, TADS, and Dialog
- Choice-based authoring tools like Twine, ChoiceScript, ink, and Squiffy
- Hybrid authoring systems like Texture and Quest
- Retro-style parser authoring tools like Adventuron, PunyInform and ZILF.
- Meetup groups like Boston's People's Republic of Interactive Fiction and San Francisco's SF Bay Area Interactive Fiction Group
- 5: Spring Thing 2022: Entries available to play.
- 30: Text Adventure Literacy Jam 2022: Final day for submissions.
- 1: ParserComp 2022: Submissions open
- 10: Spring Thing 2022: Ribbon nominations close; winners announced.
- 30: ParserComp 2022: Deadline for registrations and submissions (23:59 GMT); voting begins
(More news at Competition news)
- 24 May 2022: ThinBASIC Adventure Builder version 70
- 11 May 2022: PunyInform version 4.0
- 9 May 2022: Hugor version 3.0
- 29 April 2022: Parchment
- 28 April 2022: Inform 7 version 10.1.0 preview (no IDEs)
- 26 April 2022: DMagnetic version 0.34
- 25 April 2022: M4ZVM version Release 13
- 18 April 2022: FrankenDrift version 0.4.1
- 18 April 2022: Elm Story version 0.7.0
- 30 March 2022: Infuse version 0.98.2
(Browse the software database at Drilldown: Software)
IFWiki has a new software database!
In January 2022, IFWiki added a software infobox for interpreters, authoring systems and utilities, which stores its content to a database that can be queried. Please help us populate the database by using our new Software form to create new pages and edit existing ones. See Help:Contents to find out more!
Feature of the Day
- An Act of Murder (Christopher Huang; 2007; Z-Code).
- The Hollywood Murders (Michael Zerbo; 1996; Alan).
- Murder at the Aero Club (Penny Wyatt; 2004; Z-Code).
- Murder at the Diogenes Club (Gerald Lientz; 2002; Z-Code).
- Murder at the Folkestone Inn (Anne Laughlin; 1993; AGT).
- Murder at the Manor (Keith Bolam and Allan Morton; 1983; Spectrum.
- Murder on the Hill (Craig Dutton; 2012; Quest).
- Murder Mansion (Roy Lee; 2005; ADRIFT).
- Murder Mystery Weekend (Jonathan Scott and Stephen Boyd; 1997; PAW).
- Mustard, Music, and Murder (Christopher Huang; 2016 Z-Code).
- A Party to Murder (David Good; 2002; ADRIFT).
- What is "interactive fiction"?
- How can I download and play IF?
- Where can I find out what games I might enjoy?
- Where can I talk with other people who are into IF?
Check out these articles!
- See Craft for how-to articles.
- See Theory for articles on IF concepts.
- See Starters if you're new to IF.
You want to help edit the IFWiki? Great!