Welcome to the Interactive Fiction Wiki
Saturday, October 1, 2022
IFWiki is an encyclopedia of interactive fiction, including IF history, theory, craft, tools, and people. IFWiki serves as both a historical record of community knowledge and a guide to resources for playing and creating interactive fiction.
- 1 Sep 2022: IFWiki has a new Events database! Upcoming events automatically show up on IFWiki's front page. Add an event!
- 28 Apr 2022: Inform 7 is now open-source!
Events and competitions
Recent competition results:
Frequently recurring events:
- ClubFloyd (weekly meeting)
- People's Republic of Interactive Fiction (monthly meeting)
- Seattle IF Group (monthly meeting)
- SF Bay Area Interactive Fiction Group (monthly meeting)
- 1 Oct 2022: Vezza version Pre-release
- 1 Oct 2022: FrankenDrift version 0.6.0
- 30 Sep 2022: ThinBASIC Adventure Builder version 70
- 22 Aug 2022: Inform 7 version 10.1.1
- 9 Aug 2022: Ozmoo version 11
- 8 Aug 2022: Parchment
- 7 Aug 2022: M4ZVM version Release 15
- 6 Aug 2022: Emglken version 0.5.0
- 1 Aug 2022: M3ZVM version 5
- 30 Jul 2022: IFM version 5.5
(Browse the software database at Drilldown: Software)
Feature of the Day
- Fade to White (Devon Oratz; 2000; Quest).
- The Colour Pink (Robert Street; 2005; Z-code).
- Red Planet (Conrad Knopf; 1989; MS-DOS).
- Speed-IF Orange.
- Yellow Dog Running (Sam Kabo Ashwell; 2002; TADS 2).
- The Green Princess (Eric Mayer; 2002; ADRIFT).
- Blue Chairs (Chris Klimas; 2004; Z-code).
- Black Sheep's Gold (Driftingon; 2003; ADRIFT).
- Indigo (Emily Short; 2011; TADS 3).
- Purple (Stefan Blixt; 1998; Z-code).
- Violet (Jeremy Freese; 2008; Z-code).
- Shades of Gray (seven authors; 1992; AGT).
- Fade to Black (Jake Wildstrom; 2004; Z-code).
- Pale Blue Light (Kazuki Mishima; 2011; Z-code).
- What is "interactive fiction"?
- How can I download and play IF?
- Where can I find out what games I might enjoy?
- Where can I talk with other people who are into IF?
Check out these articles!
- See Craft for how-to articles.
- See Theory for articles on IF concepts.
- See Starters if you're new to IF.
- Annual competitions like IF Comp, Spring Thing, and the XYZZY Awards.
- Parser-based authoring tools like ADRIFT, Dialog, Inform 6, Inform 7 and TADS 3.
- Choice-based authoring tools like ChoiceScript, Ink and Twine.
- Hybrid authoring systems like Quest.
- Retro-style parser authoring tools like Adventuron, PunyInform and ZIL.
You want to help edit the IFWiki? Great!
- Check out the community portal for an overview.
- Read Help:Contents if you're new to editing wikis like ours.
You want to make a donation too?Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation. It is supported by the donations of IF supporters like you.