|Authoring system||TADS 3|
|Cruelty scale||Cruelty to be determined|
Out here you can forget everything else. With the tangle of scrub behind you, craggy cliffs below you and a vast, churning sea beyond, the only life here is that which you bring along. You duck under the last thin claw of branches, and follow Peter into the clearing. The clearing is only a few metres wide, covered in a weary dirt broken up with spindly tufts of grass. In the middle lies a small pile of dead ash sheltering behind a clump of rocks. Peter drops his satchel beside the rocks and moves towards the cliff edge, silently looking out.
How It Begins
The game opens with a quote from the protagonist from Nick Hornby's High Fidelity: "The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don’t wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules."
You are Valentine, the empty shell of a twenty-something female from the emotional breakup with your boyfriend Peter. He invites you to a clifftop overlooking the sea to set things straight and has asked you to bring the scrapbook that documented your relationship. You are unsure what he wants, but you go anyway, hoping for a second chance.
- The story is presented out of chronological order via flashbacks.
- Music (mostly alternative rock) features heavily in the game. Each section of the story is a track of a "mix tape". The boyfriend Peter is obsessed with music. The couple meet in a music store.
- Mix Tape (Brett Witty; 01-Oct-2005; TADS 3).
- Beta-testing by Jess Knoch, Rowan Martin-Hughes, Danielle Medek, and Zoë Wroten.
- Version 1.0 IF Comp `05 Release / TADS 3 v3.09
- IFID: TADS3-08AD903066F605F62B11790BA13809F2
IFID links: IFDB
- IF Comp 2005: 18th place of 36 games (tied with Waldo's Pie (Michael Arnaud; Alan 3)).
- XYZZY Awards 2005: finalist for Best Writing.
- Homepage of Mix Tape
- Mix Tape (archived) - at Baf's Guide
- Mix Tape - at IF Ratings
- Mix Tape - at IFDB.
- Mix Tape - at ifwizz interactive fiction (in German).