An Escape To Remember
|An Escape To Remember|
|Author(s)||the 2nd IF Whispers Team: Dan Shiovitz, Sean Barrett, N. B. Horvath, Mark Musante, Roger Carbol, Mordechai Shinefield, Tom Blawgus, Lucian Smith, Ricardo Dague, Carl Muckenhoupt, Josh Giesbrecht, Karl Parakenings, John Cater, and Jeremy Douglass|
|Authoring system||Inform 7|
|Cruelty scale||Cruelty to be determined|
How It Begins
You are carrying nothing, and you might be anyone, but it's hinted that you are a spy working for someone named Maurice. You are waiting impatiently in your luxurious (hotel?) suite. The room features the main door and a divan with a marigold-yellow cushion; the adjacent rooms are your bedroom and the balcony. Soon enough, a distant gong sounds three times; that's your cue to go.
- The game was written serially, scene by scene, by fourteen different authors who could only see the code to the previous author's scene. The espionage theme gets lost somewhere around scene 3, but the idea of continually moving the PC to the next set of locations remains throughout the game.
- The special AUTHOR command names the current scene and author for the location you're in.
- One unusual scene called "Recap" introduces a puzzle requiring a return to a previous author's scene. The rooms and objects in this puzzle are chosen at random from those previously seen by the player; the author had no way of knowing which parts of the game would be used.
- A weasel NPC accompanies the player through several scenes.
- An Escape To Remember (the 2nd IF Whispers Team: Dan Shiovitz, Sean Barrett, N. B. Horvath, Mark Musante, Roger Carbol, Mordechai Shinefield, Tom Blawgus, Lucian Smith, Ricardo Dague, Carl Muckenhoupt, Josh Giesbrecht, Karl Parakenings, John Cater, and Jeremy Douglass; 04-Jul-2006; Z-code).
- Release 1 / Serial number 060704 / Inform 7 build 3R85 (I6/v6.31 lib 6/10N)
- IF Whispers: This is the 2nd IF Whispers project.
- Download escape.zblorb from the IF Archive.
- An Escape To Remember homepage has the story file and source text.
- An Escape To Remember (archived) - at Baf's Guide.
- An Escape To Remember - at SPAG.
- Review - "Guess the Author" by Greg Boettcher for IF-Review, December 2006.