Explore a large castle in this story based on The Beauty and the Beast fairy tale.
|Release date(s)||21-Jan-2006; 01-Mar-2006|
|Authoring system||Inform 7|
How It Begins
You are a young girl or woman returning to the castle of the Beast after a seven day visit home with your sisters and taciturn father. It's actually a relief to get away from their concerns and suspicions.
The game asks if you've played interactive fiction before. If you answer no, this turns "novice mode" on (see notable features below).
You are empty-handed and stand at the drawbridge that crosses the moat outside the castle gate. Although you've spent several years here, your brief absence has made it seem strange to you again. It's time to go back inside.
(Most of these features are only in the expanded version of the game, although the Speed-IF version does have the color-coded compass rose.)
- The left side of the three-line high status bar lists your location, the region that the location is in, and a statistic of how many rooms you have searched. In the speed-if version, there are 31 rooms; in the expanded version, there are 55 rooms.
- The right side of the status bar has a color-coded ASCII graphic compass rose. Unexplored directions are in red; explored directions are in the default color.
- Has an optional "novice mode" feature. Key words in descriptions are set in boldface, and extra command help is provided in the form of a list of suggestions after every game response. This can be turned off with the "novice mode off" command.
- New verbs:
- GO TO (room) will walk the PC back to any previously seen room.
- FIND (object) will likewise walk you to any previously seen item.
- LOOK (direction) lets you look into the next room.
- ROOMS and OBJECTS will list all the rooms and objects you've seen, respectively.
- THINK ABOUT (object) will sometimes give you more information about that item.
- Adaptive hinting.
- Multiple endings.
The Speed-IF version
- Bronze (Emily Short; 21-Jan-2006; Z-code). Speed-IF Gruff.
- Version info: Release 1 / Serial number 060121 / Inform 7 build 3E48 (I6/v6.30 lib 6/10N)
The Expanded version
- Bronze (Emily Short; 01-Mar-2006; Z-code).
- The current release number is 13.
- Note: As the source code of Bronze is available and Inform 7 irremediably changes between builds, this work of interactive fiction needs to be updated often.
- Bronze Homepage. The website contains links to the story file, a .pdf manual, a .pdf map, a .txt walkthrough, a 'Making of Bronze' page, and the source text.
- Bronze (archived) - at Baf's Guide
- Bronze - at IFDB.
- Review (archive) by Daniel Hemmens. October 2010.
- Review (archive) by Paul O'Brian for IF-Review. May 2006.
- Bronze - at IFReviews.org
|Fractured Fairy Tales series by Emily Short|