An example of conversation handling in Inform 7, based on the fairy tale Cinderella.
|Authoring system||Inform 7|
How It Begins
You are a parrot in a sitting room. The Prince is holding a glass slipper, and is flanked on either side of the couch by Lucinda and Theodora, vying for his attention. The old lady sits in her winged chair and continues the current conversation by inquiring idly about the king's health.
- The status bar shows not the current geographic location, but the current topic in the conversation.
- The NPCs have agendas, and use goal-seeking strategies to steer the conversation.
- The PC, a parrot, contributes to the conversation via SAY [phrase] commands.
- The player is expected to know the story of Cinderella and use this knowledge from outside the game. For example, Cinderella is not mentioned or named until the player mentions it as a topic. By using a well-known story, the break between what the player knows and what the PC knows is substantially reduced right from the beginning of play.
- No score.
- Multiple endings.
Trivia and Comments
- This is one of three example games released with the first open beta release of Inform 7 on April 30, 2006.
- Glass (Emily Short; 30-Apr-2006; Z-code).
- Glass homepage. Contains the story file, cover art, notes from the author, and source code.
- Previous homepage: 
- Glass (archived) - at Baf's Guide.
- Glass - at IFDB.
- Glass - at ifwizz interactive fiction (in German).
|Fractured Fairy Tales series by Emily Short|