Nothing But Mazes
|Nothing But Mazes|
|Release date(s)||17-Jul-2006, Aug-2019, Jun-2020|
|Authoring system||TADS 3|
|Graphics||optional for intro, required for full game|
|Cruelty scale||Cruelty to be determined|
How It Begins
You awaken paralyzed in darkness, and eventually are retrieved by an alien civilization that has awakened you from near-death cryogenic suspension to assist in some project of theirs. The nature of this test, and why you are there, is still unknown...
The game includes a split-screen display with an illustration window and a text window, reminiscent of the Legend Entertainment-era IF.
Release 1: IntroComp Version (.exe version)
- Nothing But Mazes (Greg Boettcher; 17-Jul-2006; TADS 3).
- Nothing But Mazes version 1: IntroComp Version
- IFID: MZ-43978DFE75A90E64FD49CD3830E06D0B
IFID links: IFDB, IFDB cover
- Alpha-testing by Daphne Brinkerhoff.
- Beta-testing by Mara Meijers, Peter Mattsson, Chephren, Mike Snyder, Matt Funke, Michael Martin and Poster.
- IntroComp 2006: Second runner-up (of 7 games).
- Download introcomp06.zip from the IF Archive - all the games from IntroComp 2006.
- IFDB TUID: ovbxika0f1e03g6i
The zipfile includes the following relevant files:
- mazes_intro.exe: The game itself.
- mazes_intro.3r0: Optional music module.
- mazes_readme.txt: Notes from the author about the game.
Note that the IntroComp version of the game was released as a Windows executable. Linux users at the time could run it under Wine, a utility that allows the use of Windows executables on Linux. At the time of the comp, only the interpreter in the HTML TADS Player's Kit for Windows was able to play this game successfully, so the author felt it was safer to bundle the game as an executable. See the readme file for more info on the difficulties. Nowadays, Linux users can run the .t3 file in QTads.
The .t3 version of the intro
- Nothing But Mazes (Greg Boettcher; TADS 3).
- Nothing but Mazes version 2.0: Full version (20190812)
- IFID: TADS3-7A06A1FFA768B52A3471B12B80356F8A
IFID links: IFDB, IFDB cover
- Download mazes_intro.zip from the author's website.
This is the version of the intro to use if you are using a classic Macintosh (pre-OS X) and the HyperTADS interpreter, Linux and the QTads interpreter, or a modern Mac (OS X) and the QTads or CocoaTADS interpreter. It will also run on Windows machines, of course.
Full release version 2.0x
Version history from author's website.
- v2.01 released 2020-06. Bug fixes.
- v2.0 released 2019-08. Full release.
- v1 released 2016-07: IntroComp version.
See author's website to download the game and watch trailer.
- Multiplatform .t3
- Windows .exe
- Nothing But Mazes. Version 2.0x & trailer at author's website.
- Nothing But Mazes - at IFDB.
- Nothing But Mazes at ifwizz. IntroComp version only.
- Nothing But Mazes (archived) - at Baf's Guide. IntroComp version only.
Reviews (for IntroComp version)
- Review by Stephen Bond.
- Review by Dan Shiovitz.