IF Comp 2000
10th place of 53
XYZZY Awards 2000
Finalist - Best Game, Best Writing, Best Story, Best Individual PC, Best Use of Medium
A short one room game by Andrew Plotkin that casts the player inside a cramped apartment, completing a few remaining house chores before leaving for an arts festival called "Death Valley Om," realizing the tragic truth at the end.
This is Andrew Plotkin's entry in the 6th Annual IF Competition in 2000, where it garnered tenth place. It also tied with Emily Short's Metamorphoses for the third place for the Miss Congeniality award during the same competition.
How It Begins
- Shade (Andrew Plotkin as "Ampe R. Sand"; 2000; Z-code).
- Release 2 / Serial number 000925 / Inform v6.21 Library 6/10
- IFID: ZCODE-2-000925-3AA8
IFID links: IFDB
- IF Comp 2000: 10th place of 53 entries. Also tied with 3rd place with Metamorphoses (Emily Short) for Miss Congeniality.
- XYZZY Awards 2000: Winner of Best Setting; also a finalist for Best Game, Best Writing, Best Story, Best Individual PC, and Best Use of Medium.
- Download shade.z5 from the IF Archive - The story file.
- Shade (Andrew Plotkin; 2000; Z-code).
- Release 3 / Serial number 001127 / Inform v6.21 Library 6/10
- IFID: ZCODE-3-001127-C86D
IFID links: IFDB
- Download shade.z5 from the IF Archive - The z-machine story file.
- Download Shade-R3.hqx from the IF Archive - A Mac OS Application (encoded in Macintosh Bin/Hex format.)
- Shade listing at Zarfhome.
- Shade (archived) - at Baf's Guide
- Shade - at IFDB
- Shade - at SPAG.
- Shade - at IF Ratings.
- Review by Jeremy Douglass for Electronic Book Review.
- Review by Paul O'Brian.
- Review by Dan Shiovitz.
- Review (archive) by Emily Short for Play This Thing!
- Review by Duncan Stevens.
- Review by Corneilius S. Herrmann
- Shade walkthrough by David Welbourn.
- SPAG #23 - Contains a SPAG Specifics analysis by Duncan Stevens.
- Download shade-src.tar.Z from the IF Archive - Source code, compressed in "tarball" format.