|Links||Home page Download|
|Developers||Tor Andersson, Ben Cressey, Chris Spiegel|
|Formats||ADRIFT 4, AdvSys, AGT, Alan 2, Alan 3, Glulx, Hugo, Level 9, Magnetic Scrolls, ScottFree, TADS 2, TADS 3, Z-code|
|Systems||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Latest version||2023.1 / 20 Feb 2023|
|Uses interpreter||Alan, Bocfel, Git, Glulxe, Hugo, Magnetic, AdvSys, Jacl, Level9, Scare, ScottFree, AGiliTy, Mjr-T3, Taylormade, Plus|
|Multimedia support||Different for each game format|
|Notes||Licence: GPL (front-end code), others (interpreters). Original Gargoyle homepage.|
|Browse the software database|
|Edit this infobox|
- NOTE: This article is about the interpreter. For the ChoiceScript game by Simon, see Gargoyle (game).
Gargoyle is a Glk API library for both the UNIX and MS-Windows operating systems. It was specially designed to optimize the typography of the I/O system. Gargoyle was originally developed by Tor Andersson. It is currently maintained by Ben Cressey.
The name Gargoyle is also used to refer to the set of interpreters (with a common front-end) which Andersson ported to use his Gargoyle library. The interpreters currently (as of February 2022) included in this set are:
- for AdvSys games:
- AdvSys 1.2
- for Alan games (v2 and v3):
- ARUN 2.8(6)
- ARUN 3.0 beta8
- for Hugo games:
- Hugo 3.1.06
- for Inform & Infocom games:
- for Magnetic Scrolls games:
- Glk Magnetic 2.3
- for JACL games:
- JACL 2.9.0
- for Scott Adams games:
- Glk ScottFree 1.14
Gargoyle is intended to care about typography, that is, to render the IF in a way most comfortable for reading. Features include specially chosen fonts, kerning, ligatures, text justification and many others. The options can be fine tuned in the simple text file 'garglk.ini'; for example, using Notepad on MS Windows, the text justification can be turned on by changing the line containing:
justify 0 # 0=ragged-right 1=justified
justify 1 # 0=ragged-right 1=justified
See also: Spatterlight, a similar program for MacOS X.
- Gargoyle - Gargoyle's homepage.
- Unofficial build for Mac OS 10.12. Released November 2016.
- Updated version on GitHub - Supports Unicode. Updated by new developers. Note the Issues for bug reporting has relative high levels of activity.
- New features in the 25 August 2009 release include color support for Frotz/Z-Machine, copy/paste support to and from the text buffer, and Glk hyperlinks support.
- Mac binary (1 Jan 2012) with increased undo buffer (needed for "undo" in Counterfeit Monkey)
Modified Gargoyle (description is in Italian though)(Broken link. No archived copy)
- Gargoyle for Amazon Kindle for the e-ink low-power devices, which uses GTK 2.0 in the Kindles.
|By format||ADRIFT • AdvSys • AGT • Alan • Glulx • Hugo • Magnetic Scrolls • TADS • Z-code|
|By system||Browser • Android • iOS • Linux • macOS • Windows|
|Browse||Recommended interpreters • Search form • Drilldown|
|Other software||Authoring systems • Utilities|