The Fire Tower
Take a pleasant day hike in the Great Smoky National Park in Tennessee.
|The Fire Tower|
|Author(s)||Jacqueline A. Lott|
|Graphics||optional map in jpg file|
How It Begins
You are an experienced female hiker wearing suitable clothing for a hike (watch, shirt, shorts, socks, hiking boots), and carrying a hip pack (containing a headlamp, first aid kit, water bottle, and a bag of trail mix). Your male partner drops you off at a parking lot near the Lower Mt. Cammerer trail. It's 7:00 a.m. You intend to hike along the Appalachian trail to a fire tower and then hike back to the car park by 9:30 p.m. You just need a day by yourself.
- One-way trip through the trail. In general, there is no backtracking, except for maybe one sidetrail.
- Full sensory experience. You are encouraged to use all five senses, and examine, listen to, touch, smell, and even taste.
- Progressive time. You have a watch, and can observe the changing position of the sun as you travel. Different actions take different amounts of time.
- Random encounters handled as mini cutscenes. Several animals may be spotted in the game, including a bear.
- The Fire Tower (Jacqueline A. Lott; 2004; Z-code).
- Release 1 / Serial number 040528 / Inform v6.30 Library 6/10
- 2004 IF Art Show: Entered in Landscape Division. Awarded Best of Show.
- XYZZY Awards 2004: Winner of Best Setting.
- Download firetower.z8 from the IF Archive
- Download firetower_map.jpg from the IF Archive
- Also available on the IF Promotional CD, July 2005 Edition.
- The Fire Tower homepage. Includes review excerpts by some of the IF Art Show judges.
- The Fire Tower (archived) - at Baf's Guide.
- The Fire Tower - at IFDB.
- The Fire Tower (portal) - 2004's work at 50 Years of Text Games.
- The Fire Tower - at Home of the Underdogs.
- 2004 IF Art Show reviews at IF Art Show.
- The Fire Tower reviewed at SPAG by Mike Penman.
- The Fire Tower - at IF Ratings
- (GOTW) The Fire Tower May 2005 rgif thread, promoted by Fredrik Ramsberg's Game of the Week.
- (REVIEW) The Fire Tower Jul 2005 rgif thread, beginning with review by David Whyld.
- The Fire Tower Dec 2005 rgif thread.