Speed-IF is a minicomp usually run from ifMUD and giving a two-hour (soft) limit to author a game based on a predetermined premise. Someone develops a premise from suggestions or from their own imagination. The first Speed-IF was done shortly after the 1998 IF Competition.
Here is a description of how Speed-IF came about: "I started the first Speed-IF back in October of 1998 because I had just finished coding Cattus Atrox and was going through what I call, 'Coding Withdrawal'. So I asked if anyone would be interested in a speed "IF" programming contest. We started at one hour and eventually realized that two hours was about the right amount of time. The games are usually setup with a madlib questionaire session, but there have been a few variations. The segmented SpeedIF worked well, if you ask me. The most important part though is that you have a good funny 'feel' for the evening. It lends to better games. We have almost always done these from the ifMUD on weekends at around 8pm to 10pm." - David Cornelson
The Speed-IF index was originally compiled by Gunther Schmidl at Four Coffees.
Select a year: 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014
- First Speed-IF work: Coffins (Christopher Huang; 1998; Z-code). Speed-IF 1.
- First Speed-IF work in TADS: Kids, don't eat your Halloween candy without having your parents inspect it first because there are SICKOS out there who will put RAZOR BLADES in it and you will CUT YOUR MOUTH and GET A POISONED INFECTION and DIE, all from eating your candy early. So don't do that. (Dan Shiovitz; 1998). Speed-IF 2.
- First Speed-IF work in Hugo: The Onion of Destiny (Jason Dyer; 1999).
- First Speed-IF work with graphics: untitled (speed.gam) (Lenny Pitts; 1999; TADS 2). Speed-IF 4.
- First Speed-IF work that was an XYZZY Awards finalist: You are a Chef! (Dan Shiovitz; 2000; TADS 2). Speed-IF 8. Finalist for Best Writing.
- First Speed-IF work in Alan: SpeedIF 11, part six (Mikko Vuorinen; 2000; Alan). Speed-IF 11.
- First Speed-IF work in Glulx: Zig-zy (Jonathan Rosebaugh; 2001). Speed-IF XYZZY.
- First Speed-IF work written with Platypus: The Theta Point (Alexandre Owen Muñiz; 2001). Speed-IF Pi-Theta-Aleph-Parallax.
- First Speed-IF work in TADS 3: Dining With the Alien (R. N. Dominick; 2002). Speed-IF Crinkle-Cut.
- First Speed-IF work that was an XYZZY Awards winner: ASCII and the Argonauts (J. Robinson Wheeler; 2003; Z-code). Speed-IF Argonaut. Winner for Best Use of Medium.
- First Speed-IF work written in Inform 7: Bronze (Emily Short; 2006). Speed-IF Gruff.
- First Speed-IF work written in ZIL: PAX East 2010 Speed-IF (Jesse McGrew and Kate Matthews; 2010; Z-code 5). PAX Speed-IF.
- Speed-IF 1 on October 2, 1998. The one room, two NPCs, and jealousy one.
- Speed-IF 2 on October 29, 1998. The first Halloween one, at Neil deMause's NY apartment.
- Speed-IF 3 on December 3, 1998. The morality play, deadly sins, and stymied transportation one.
- Speed-IF 4 on September 10, 1999. The Eiffel Tower, Nostadamus, and onion one.
- Speed-IF 5 on November 21, 1999. The spy courier, "Pee On This!", and chalupa one.
- Speed-IF 5.5 on November 26, 1999. The 'rock' and a color one.
- Speed-IF 6 on November 27, 1999. The iceburg, Mr. Potato Head, and rollercoaster one.
- Speed-IF 7 on December 2, 1999. The stowaway on an oil tanker one.
- SpeedApocalypse on December 11, 1999. The apocalypse one.
- Speed-IF 2000 on December 12, 1999. The Maasai, cows, and lion one.
- Speed-IF 8 on January 15, 2000. The freak accident leaves Seattle pantsless one.
- Speed-IF 9 on April 14, 2000. The stairs, zippo lighter, and monster one.
- Speed-IF 11 on May 29, 2000. The moving a dead body in stages one.
- Speed-IF 10 on June 26, 2000. The 'stop the government' one.
- Speed-IF 12 on July 13, 2000. The honoring Chuck Schmendiman with a surprise one.
- Speed-IF 13 on August 1, 2000. The Chinese restaurant with animals one.
- Speed-IF 14 on October 31, 2000. The second Halloween one, featuring black and orange.
- Speed-IF 2001 on January 20, 2001. The "Brutus the Chihuahua" in New Orleans or Io one.
- Speed-IF XYZZY on March 3, 2001. The tragedy at the XYZZY Awards one.
- Speed-IF 15 on March 14, 2001. The vaccuum-repairing, chicken-plucking, basket-weaving, monkey-butlering one.
- Speed-IF 16 on April 7, 2001. The Marie Antoinette on the moon one.
- Speed-IF Without Number on April 16, 2001. The purple PC and evil fish one.
- DNA Tribute Speed-IF on May 12, 2001. The tribute to Douglas Adams one.
- Speed-IF Y on May 24, 2001. The rockets, sprockets, pants, and William Shatner one.
- Speed-IF Schmeed-IF on May 27, 2001. The movie version of IF one.
- Speed-IF O on June 18, 2001. The girls' cold shower or astrology convention one.
- Speed-IF Pi-Theta-Aleph-Parallax on July 21, 2001. The Alvin, Jarb, and Stinky June on the moon one.
- Speed-IF 17 on August 11, 2001. The terrorists' bombs in Manhattan on New Years' Eve one.
- Speed-IF Third Anniversary on September 29, 2001. The third Halloween one, with leather and Voodoo Pimp Daddy.
- Speed-IF -1 on November 18, 2001. The theft one, with Hank Buzzcrack, Mother Teresa, and T.S. Eliot.
- Speed-IF y=1/x on December 8, 2001. The end of the world and the PC's hairstyle one.
- Speed-IF 18 on January 26, 2002. The religion, cheese, and alcohol one.
- Speed-IF EXTREME on February 1, 2002. The abridged Shakespeare rip-off one.
- Speed-IF Orange on February 23, 2002. The Significant Other, God, and Pythagorus one.
- Speed-IF Spring Training on March 1, 2002. The wild animal, musical instrument, and John Cusack movie reference one.
- Speed-IF Crinkle-Cut on March 23, 2002. The NPC on fire and an object you can't drop one.
- Speed-IF Jacket on April 21, 2002. The first book-jacket quotes one.
- Speed-IF Halloween 2002 on October 31, 2002. The fourth Halloween one, with candy.
- Speed-IF 10-9 on December 14, 2002. The underground hideout and a destroyed earth ending one.
- Speed-IF 19 on January 12, 2003. The decency, bag of metal bits, and cursed angel one.
- Speed-IF Argonaut on March 8, 2003. The "ASCII and the Argonauts" one.
- Speed-IF ToasterComp II on April 12, 2003. The toast and toasters one.
- Speed-IF Jacket 2 on April 13, 2003. The second book-jacket quotes one.
- Speed-IF Late on May 18, 2003. Zee telepathic fish infiltrating zee Franco-Texan Embassy one.
- Speed-IF U on May 24, 2003. The Death personified, Radical Al, and socks one.
- Speed-IF 20 on June 28, 2003. The IF haiku, apricots, Great Zimbabwe, and jaguar one.
- Speed-IF of Destiny on July 26, 2003. The motorcycle, dew fairies, and lobster magnet one.
- Speed-IF Let's Make A Nightmare on September 16, 2003. The nightmarish game show with three doors one.
- Speed-IF 5th Anniversary on September 27, 2003. The casino, flowery hat, and brain in a fishbowl one.
- Speed-IF That Dare Not Speak Its Number on January 24, 2004. The hurled cows, bleeding flowers, and liquid leather one.
- Speed-IF Century on February 28, 2004. The second XYZZY Awards one, with Justin Timberlake.
- Speed-IF >= 20 on April 10, 2004. The accidental swallowing and five nouns or less one.
- Speed-IF Autocratic Fist on July 10, 2004. The hubris, vestigial tail, phlogiston, and parasol one.
- Speed-IF Scenario 1 on September 5, 2004. The children are floating away one.
- Speed-IF Zombie on August 23, 2005. The 'holed up in the bunker with zombies coming' one.
- Speed-IF Jacket 3 on August 28, 2005. The third book-jacket quotes one.
- Speed-IF Gruff on January 20, 2006. The fractured fairy tale one.
- Speed-IF Neologism on May 13-15, 2006. The nockle/flugulate/zomg, poem, and dog one.
- Speed-IF Copyright on October 20-23, 2006. The why copyright protection is important one.
- Speed-IF Introcomp on August 24-26, 2007. The Francophones have stolen the Spirit of Speed-IF one.
- New Year's Speed on December 23-30, 2007. The mice in eggnog, and Hitler one.
- Spring Speed-IF 2008 in late March 2008. The season of Spring one.
- bouchercomp on May 27 to 28 (or so), 2008. The Lowell Prison one based on boucher's disconnect message.
- New New Year's Speed IF in December 2008. The yet another New Year's one.
- Speed-IF 11th Anniversary on September 1, 2009. The eleven, steam, Marvel character, and tossed fish one.
- r*if spam Speed-IF in late September 2009. The spam phrases from the r*if newsgroups one.
- Newer New Year's Speed IF in January 2010. Taleslinger's 3rd New Year's Speed-IF.
- PAX Speed-IF on March 27, 2010. The spellcasting and mangoes one at PAX East 2010.
- Speed-IF Wrist Exercise on May 16, 2010. The WIP practice (or not) or badgers one.
- Even Newer New Year's Speed IF from Dec. 14, 2010 to Jan. 4, 2011. Taleslinger's 4th New Year's Speed-IF.
- PAX East 2011 Speed-IF on March 12, 2011. The speed-if at PAX East 2011, of course.
- Speed-IF Jacket 4 from April 8 to April 15, 2011. The fourth jacket-blurbs one.
- Indigo New Language Speed-IF from April 17 to April 30, 2011. The write in an authoring system you haven't used before one.
- Thanksgiving Speed-IF from Nov. 11 to 27, 2011. The missing dragonfly (and other things photographed by Grocible) one.
- The penultimate not numbered New Year's Speed IF from Dec. 2 to 30, 2011. Taleslinger's 5th New Year's Speed-IF.
- The ultimate not numbered New Year's Speed IF ended on Jen. 6, 2013. Taleslinger's 6th New Year's Speed-IF.
- 7th annual New Year's Minicomp ended on Jan. 5, 2014. Taleslinger's 7th New Year's Speed-IF.